She is finished! I completed this painting last night. I have been working on it for the last three months approximately. If you click on one of my recent past posts: “Holy Cow” you can check out the gradual progression of this painting.
It is primarily done in oils save for the base/background of the calf’s body. I used Titanium White for her base. It allowed me to create an abundance of underlying texture. I then added oil paints over the acrylic. I really love the effect it elicited.
Last night, I added the eyes and eyelashes (this is the first time I have ever painted eyes on a living creature in a painting) as well as the additional abstract colors that made this little calf appear more lifelike, even if the colors are not.
I am quite happy with the finished piece. I hope you enjoy it as well. I have never painted a portrait of a living creature before so this was an experiement….a successful one at that.
I hope your week is off to a superb start!
k i m b y
I am baaaaaack!!! I have not posted any new blogs in over three weeks…and for that I apologize. I have been struggling a bit (well actually, I have been struggling a lot) and have not had the gumption to sit down and blog. I have been forcing myself to paint….even IF I am lacking the necessary and vital inspiration to do so. I am in the midst of churning out a few paintings that I hope you will enjoy. Holy Cow is one of those paintings. It is really not entitled “Holy Cow”. I labeled this piece that title just for this post. I have no idea what it will be called but I think it is a pretty cute, and hopefully interesting, abstraction of a sweet little calf.
This painting was initially created by sketching the image of the cow in a lavender pencil. I chose lavender because it is soft, moldable and rich. It is also one of the presiding colors I envisioned for this particular piece. Once I did the sketch, I moved onto to doing the background. This background has three different layers. I used a lime green color for the primary base. I then made an orange color from mixing cadmium red and Naples yellow oil paints. Lastly, I mixed in some Alizaron crimson, wet-on-wet, into the already added bases. After the background was completed, I did something I have never done before…..I used acrylic as base in which to create texture to the base of the cow. I have only just begun to explore working with acrylics and I decided to try my luck as use it as a foundational base. I LOVE the way it turned out and I am thrilled I stepped out of my comfort zone and tried it! I am now gradually adding abstract colors onto the coat of the cow to create a vibrant painting….I hope! I will be sure to post the finished product once it is done.
I hope all is well in your world. Thank you so much for being faithful to my blog and continuing to read even when my posts are somewhat lacking and few & far between.
k i m b y